It's a bittersweet thing getting older. Sure you have great wisdom and a wealth of experience, but why does your body have to fail?
We lost my grandfather in April. He had been living on borrowed time thanks to the wonderdrugs that scrubbed his arteries and kept the blood flowing, but that does not comfort in the face of the reality of him not being here.
We spent the weekend with my grandmother for her first birthday in 62 years without my grandfather. She was happy to have her family around her, but missing my grandfather. That in itself was sort of weird since their past 10 years together seemed to be more harping than happy. Still, there's comfort in just having someone there. My grandmother admits that she's very lonely sometimes even though she has a large group of friends. She asked my sister to move down and though it sounded like a joke, I know she meant it in some part of her subconcious.
For me, the worst thing was opening the closet door and seeing my grandfather's hat on the top shelf. It's one of those old-school felt hats with the band and the cocky little feather. I can see him in it.
I guess Lisa is feeling like me today - I hate gray eyebrows and hair too!
No comments:
Post a Comment