Now that we have our initial project configured and our renaming done, it's time to start creating! This is arguably my favorite part of the process. I love documentation (obviously) and as soon as we get through with this series about multi-purposing and reusing, I'm going to do a series of lessons on the writing process.
Today, let's look at how to create a topic with reuse and multi-purposing in mind. First, creating a topic. The following screencast describes how I take one of the sample html files we created in Lesson 4 and make it my own.
As a side note: I'm going to be using Screenr for my videos from now on. I recommend picking a product and staying with it. Having your resources in too many places is a bad habit and will not make your documentation any easier.
Next, let's look at how to consistently apply styles to our text. This is CRITICAL to preventing gray hairs when the committee decides the font is too large or needs to be a different color. Instead of having to modify each file one-by-one, we can simply modify the stylesheet and all topics/documents that are part of the project will be updated immediately! By the way, this is a huge time saver when using Microsoft Word/Excel too! Try to apply styles consistently.
Finally, let's look at how to create a new topic. This will be handy when we run out of Flare's sample project topics!
No comments:
Post a Comment